Franciscan Monastery and the Church of St. Catherine
Samostanska 3, Krapina
Tel: +385 49 371 455
The Franciscan monastery and the Church of St. Catherine are located where there used to be the Chapel of St. Catherine and a hospice for the poor. The new church was built in 1657, as well as the Franciscan monastery. Beside spiritual activities, the Franciscans treated the sick and prepared medicine. There is a rare collection of sacral art and a library from 1650, rich with rare books and three very important incunabulae. Concerts of famous singers and musicians are organized in the Church of St. Catherine. The Franciscans organize a festival of spiritual music "Krapinafest" every year at the beginning of June.
The founder of the monastery (the construction began in 1644) was Ana Marija Erdödy, born Keglević-Bužimski. The church was probably built at the same time. The building of the monastery in Krapina meets the standards of monastic architecture. Four wings and two floors close the square yard. At the location of the present monastery church there used to be the Church of St. Catherine and an inn, so that the founder of the monastery probably wanted the new church to be dedicated to this popular saint. The church was consecrated in 1657. The central, very plastic portal is the richest decoration of any portals in Croatia. The monastery has a large collection of church books and objects.